Disruptive Behaviour

We all have a right to live in a peaceful neighbourhood and to the quiet enjoyment of our home. This means you and your neighbours have the right to enjoy and use your property in peace, privacy and comfort without interference. This applies to everyone, whether they own their home, rent privately or are a public housing tenant.

Tenants in public housing properties have responsibilities and obligations under their tenancy agreements and the Residential Tenancies Act 1987. Tenants must not:

  • cause intentional or reckless damage to the property
  • injure any person occupying or permitted on adjacent properties
  • use, cause or permit the property to be used for an illegal purpose
  • cause or permit interference with the reasonable peace, comfort or privacy of those who live in the immediate vicinity of the property

What is disruptive behaviour?

Disruptive behaviour is ongoing or unreasonable nuisance or disruption that occurs at or near a public housing property that negatively impacts those residing in the immediate vicinity. This can include:

  • excessive or ongoing noise
  • threats, intimidation, offensive behaviour or assault
  • unlawful trespass
  • noise and disturbance from household arguments

Resolving concerns with your neighbours

The best way to resolve concerns or disagreements is by talking to your neighbours and making them aware of the disruption and the impact on your household. You may be able to reach a reasonable compromise that is acceptable to everyone.

If you cannot reach an agreement with your neighbour, Legal Aid Western Australia​ provides information and assistance in dealing with common problems, your rights and options and where you can find help.



 Related Pages


 Related Information