- Work under way on major new 168-unit city housing project in Northbridge
- Public-private partnership to deliver more affordable housing
The start of construction of a 168-unit development in the heart of Perth highlights how public-private partnerships continue to provide more affordable housing.
Inspecting the One on Aberdeen development today, Housing Minister Terry Redman said the project would deliver high quality, affordable housing to support the Liberal-National Government’s target of 20,000 new affordable homes by 2020.
“In partnership with Diploma Properties, the Department of Housing has used its land assets to help the private sector to finance this impressive project,” Mr Redman said.
“As well as seven commercial units, the development will provide 161 one and two-bedroom apartments offering a range of housing solutions, including social and affordable rental; traditional rental and home ownership; and shared home ownership opportunities.”
The Minister said affordable housing in the inner city was in great demand, and this development had proven very popular.
“A total of 156 units have already been pre-committed off-the-plan, and in light of recent market conditions, this is an excellent outcome,” he said.
Mr Redman said the department would continue to build on the success of its partnerships with the building and construction industry through the effective ‘Calls for Submission’ process.
“A new Call for Submissions for Affordable Housing 2012-13 is seeking proposals from industry to deliver quality affordable housing,” he said.
“Submissions in 2011-12 have already delivered 600 homes to low-to-moderate income earners who would otherwise struggle to own their own home.”
- Construction of One on Aberdeen expected to take about 21 months
- Under Liberal-National Govt’s affordable housing strategy - which targets 20,000 new dwellings by 2020 - more than 6,200 new affordable homes already created, including:
- nearly 2,600 home ownership opportunities via Keystart or shared equity
- more than 670 new discounted private rentals
Minister's office - 6552 6700